- Story Ideas
- Send Corrections
Boy Scout Troop #48 is celebrating its 95th Anniversary this year by holding an Open House on Sunday, September 16, from 2 – 4 p.m. at the Scout Home located at the New Holland United Methodist Church. The program will begin right at 2 p.m. and light refreshments will be served.
In the early years, the troop held Scout meetings at various places in town—the Town Hall, St. Stephen Reformed Church, the National Bank and the high school building. During the year 1940, to establish a permanent home for the troop, the committee purchased the stable and garage building on the Dr. Hoffman estate. On June 11, 1941, after months of remodeling, this building (located on Roberts Avenue) was finally dedicated as a meeting place. From 1941 until the present, the troop has maintained this property. It did so in earlier years by collecting scrap paper, rags and metal. In the fall of 1989, when the market for recycled paper disappeared, the troop began looking for other ways to raise funds, including selling candy bars, subs, pizza, apple cider, cook books and chicken barbecue. For nearly 20 years the troop had an ice cream stand at the New Holland Farm Show.
Minor changes have taken place at the home of Troop 48 over the years: in 1981 repairs were made to the porch after a fire was set there, in 1996 the driveway was paved, plumbing and heat were added to the bathroom in 2000 and 2001, and aluminum siding was placed on the exterior during 2002 and 2003.
The troop meetings continue at the Scout home on Monday evenings, from 7 - 8:30 p.m. It is with much pride, that we invite the community to visit us during this Open House.